viernes, 27 de septiembre de 2024

Travelling Orchestra


I have been practicing with musical instruments in the Disc since I can remember, climbing the skills ladder step by step, and changing instruments as my prowess become greater. Right now,  I am able to master reasonably well the most difficult and demanding of wind and string instruments.  As an example, here is the carved bone aulos I carry around in my backpack for enjoying those brief spells of free time I can get:

Made from two long stag's bones, carved with cavorting maenads and polished to a high sheen, this double flute with its smooth ivory mouthpiece balances lightly in the hand and seems to sound soft music on the edge of hearing with only the wind to play it.  Legend says that Patina, Goddess of Wisdom, made the first aulos in order to play a game involving blowing small paper balls across a green table, but cast it aside in disgust when the sounds ruined Her concentration.


Some messages I get from playing, serenading or performing solos on it:

You play a simple, graceful tune like the wind through an olive grove on your carved bone aulos.

You play an elegantly geometrical air on your carved bone aulos.

You play a deceptively simple dancing tune like the hooves of a flock of goats down a rocky mountain slope on your carved bone aulos.

You serenade the short woman on your carved bone aulos with a gentle tune like the cooing of doves as they settle for the night and tuck their heads under soft grey wings.

You perform a solo piece like young men singing on their way to war on your carved bone aulos.

I also used to carry around a wooden harp, but it doesn't quite fit inside my current backpack, so I have to go back to my Apex Club room to play with it:

This is a remarkably well made wooden harp with lovely spiralling vine ornaments.  The open, triangular-shaped frame has numerous strings of graded lengths strung across it.


Some messages I get from strumming, playing, serenading or performing solos on it:

You skilfully strum a pleasant sequence of chords on your wooden harp.

You deftly strum a few chord progressions on your wooden harp.

You play an elegantly simple melody line on your wooden harp.

You expertly play your wooden harp, creating a complex yet beautiful tune.

With elegant movements you play a folksong about two doves on your wooden harp, serenading Jarvis.

You skillfully serenade Jarvis with a moving melody on your wooden harp.

You play a peaceful solo on your wooden harp.

You timidly perform a peaceful solo on your wooden harp.

Mind you, those are the best messages I get with both instruments. A lot of the messages I get are worse - more so for the harp, where I have less mastery.

I have also started trying my hands at percussion, but am at relatively lows levels here. I got myself a tambourine, but most of the time, I prefer to make a quick visit to the Sung family music room and bang on the dobachi for a bit.

No hay comentarios: