Tuesday, September 1, 2026

Big and Small and In Between


Yesterday I found one more bit of loot from the smuggler's den which I hadn't encountered before: the Klatchian steel tower shield:

This extremely weighty shield has been made from the finest Klatchian steel. Strong, durable, and weighty, it would be capable of protecting someone from even the most determined of attacks - at least if you were able to carry it. An ornate representation of a phoenix in flight has been inlaid upon the central boss of the shield in gold.


It is, indeed, rather hefty, at around 14.33 pounds. While my first thought was to immediately fence it, I think went and took a look about Quow's suggestions for floaters. Right now I am pretty comfortable with the ornate bone shield, as I am slightly above the 483 bonuses it demands. The Katchian steel piece is apparently good from 538 upwards (and the ultimate goal, a giant turtle shell, from 646 upwards). This, and the new hedgie spell that can make shields heavier, are making me think of a road map: when I go back to spending in magic.spells.defensive, as soon as I reach 500 bonuses I can cast Luquayle's Longevity-Enhancing Ballast once, or even twice, on the current shield. And when I reach 538, switch to this one. And then do the same thing, expanding weights as I get better bonuses. It's going to be a slow climb. I will need unimaginable amounts of xp to push defense up. Perhaps I should be considering sailing, so if any of you smugglers are reading this, let me know if you are willing to recruit me.

Anyway, moving from the very big to the very small, and as part of my attempts to reduce my burden, I have decided to give up on my deluded sapphire-hilted knife. The Hedgies in Skund have developed a really small, light and nifty kauri penknife that does all the requirements of body-part gathering and little-demon summoning, and sheathes along with my Fang inside my recently acquired filigreed sword belt. Knifey looks like this:

This is a sturdy, practical folding knife, suitable for all the little everyday things a hedge wizard might need to cut, like string or branches or eyeballs. It has a Wharncliffe blade designed to fold away into the polished kauri handle, and bears a steaming teacup as a maker's mark. The blade is closed.



And finally, something in between! I have Grimoire carry for me my filigreed rowan case, which I don't use for much, actually, expect for the hope of scraping some magical tm from listing the spells within it. It looks like this:

This is a small case made from rowan which has been completely enveloped in octiron filigree. The design is fanciful and intricate and the octiron has been polished to high reflective shine. In the centre of the cases lid is a small plaque which mirrors your gaze perfectly. At the bottom are four small claw-like feet which the case uses to keep hold of the surface. Any surface, really. Between the legs, in the centre of the bottom of the case is another small plaque which might give some information. 
It is in perfect condition. 
There is no ink in the well. It contains no paper. 
It radiates pure octarine brilliance. 
It has the hazy octarine sparkle of a magical talisman.


No comments: