Friday, September 11, 2026

Gem-endipity


In a recent trip to the dwarven mines of Copperhead, while I was very unlucky in the crates I investigated, I found some rather interesting gems. Each mine can contain, at most, three different types of gems. The one I explored had veins of quartz, tiger's eye and, most importantly, corundum, which is the fancy name for the family of gems that includes rubies and sapphires. All in all, I got quite a nice cache, which I then cut and polished, as usual, in Slippery Hollow. Two or three pieces are rather valuable! 

A small heart-shaped cut tiger's eye, a small princess cut corundum, two large heart-shaped cut corundums, three large trillion cut tiger's eyes, two large heart-shaped cut quartzes, three small heart-shaped cut quartzes, a large pear-shaped cut tiger's eye, a small pear-shaped cut tiger's eye, four small trillion cut tiger's eyes, a large pear-shaped cut quartz, a small teardrop cut quartz, a large teardrop cut corundum, a small princess cut violet corundum and a small heart-shaped cut corundum.


I will be keeping the two princess cut and the large teardrop cut corundums, and one the most valuable tiger's eye gems. The non-violet corundum is actually in the limit of range in which I can properly value it (the other corundums are too costly for my skills). I will be using it for getting better at gem evaluation:

get gem from every blorples
You get a small princess cut corundum from a pocket in Blorples.
l gem
This small corundum has been cut into a square modified brilliant shape.  The gem's translucent properties have been enhanced by its seventy-six facets.
value gem
You carefully look at the small princess cut corundum but are uncertain of its value.
value gem
You carefully look at the small princess cut corundum but are uncertain of its value.
value gem
You carefully look at the small princess cut corundum but are uncertain of its value.
value gem
You carefully look at the small princess cut corundum but are uncertain of its value.
value gem
You estimate that the small princess cut corundum is worth A$118.47.  You're not very confident in your estimation.
value gem
You carefully look at the small princess cut corundum but are uncertain of its value.



There is a fancy fence in the middle of the Klatchian desert that deals with gems, but I find more convenience in Morporkian money and who dwells in Sto Lat. He doesn't look very fancy, nor his hut very wholesome, but behind the rags is a very clever connoisseur of jewellery!


No comments: