It is relatively easy, and not particularly glamorous, to earn money in the Disc, and there are only so many useful and expensive bits and bobs you can equip yourself with. Still, money has its uses. An area in which I find myself spending vast amounts of wealth is in the purchase of lives - I am only nine away from a hundred, which would also grant me a significant achievement. For the most part, though, I keep dying somewhat faster than I can raise money to reach the limit...
So if you're 'borrowing' items for selling them, one step up from the general stores would be the fences. The ones I most consistently use are the following three, depending on the type of good I want to convert to cash:
In the Ankh-Morpork Thieves Guild you have Sol and Jim. The first will give you the best bang for your buck for jewellery. The second, for clothing items. Until recently, my loot was mostly mirrored sunglasses and sundry rings, medallions and lockets mostly acquired from certain seedy establishments in Genua, so I could happily make do with both of them.
More recently, I acquired some skills in the mining, carving and polishing of gems, which meant I had to find a specialized fence for that. There are two I know of: one in the middle of the Klatchian desert, and another one in Sto Lat. I find the latter much more convenient given that he pays me in Morporkian currency, the one I employ (and spend!) the most.
Finally, since I've gotten into the habit of frequenting a certain den of iniquity in Ephebe, I also have to add a weapons fence to the list. There's a nice one in Mad Stoat, but again, for currency issues, I prefer Jak, in the Troll's Head Pub of Ankh-Morpork, just at the entrance of The Shades.
Although I don't have the soul of a merchant, I've been improving my haggling skills in different items. As as you have seen from previous entries, I've been systematically listing what can be found with the smugglers. Yesterday, I was fence a load of loot from them when I suddenly noticed an item I hadn't written about before, which I think makes the last (and twentieth) of the list, a fine silk robe:




No comments:
Post a Comment